header

header

Monday, April 5, 2010

McDonald’s in the Poetry Business?

While driving on the 99 to work, I saw this sign a few weeks ago and I thought, Wow, Micky D is in the poetry business!

Then I thought about Rosa Alcala, a poet and professor of mine, and about the discussions of poetry for the masses, the difference between imagery and word, and Visual Poetry. Sometimes it’s the same as Concrete Poetry. Geof Huth said that “they are not merely poems, but they are certainly poems (http://www.poetryfoundation.org/journal/article.html?id=182397 )”

So I thought about my reaction, at first one of ghastly shock. How dare they use poetry to seen a breakfast sandwich! Like I’m the Poetry Patrol or something... Is it visually pleasing, the imagery solid? Does it have a tone, sharp lines that break perfectly? Or are there poems in the wrapper of you muffin? Maybe “We Be Cool" by Gwendolyn Brooks?

Then I thought, so is it so yummy and filling that it can only be equated to poetry? So is poetry hearty and gut busting? If it’s good, yes, I suppose it is.

http://www.poetryireland.ie/images/homepage/test.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Concrete poetry for the stomach, Vero. Love your blogspot. Keep writing, girl. The not so anonymous Maria del Desierto.

    ReplyDelete

Orale...